Neostrata, a US-based company, has been in the skincare business for a very long time. It has a line of clinically-proven products that has generated a good response from the consumers and still going strong. The company holds more than 100 patents for their products that mainly make use of alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) and polyhydroxy acid technology. The founders Dr. Eugene Scott and Dr. Yu worked together studying the skin and its various problems. They found out that the main issue is shedding and clearing of dead cells, and worked on finding new ways to initiate the formation of new skin layers. Neostrata and Psorent products are referred to by dermatologists, and Exuviance and CoverBlend products are available in the retail market. Neostrata HQ skin lightening gel effectively lightens the skin discoloration and exfoliates dark spots. This gel enhances the cell turnover to promote even complexion of the skin.
Mechanism of action
Everyone dreams of having clear skin and an even skin tone. People have varied skin color and skin types. This gel works to lighten freckles, age spots, dark spots and old acne scars. The two most active ingredients in this gel are hydroquinone (2%) and polyhydroxy acid (10%). Other compounds found in this gel are Lactobionic acid (5%), Gluconolactone (5%), kojic acid (3%) and licorice extract.
- Hydroquinone is an aromatic organic compound derived from the chemical benzene. We are all aware that the pigment melanin imparts color to the skin. Hydroquinone decreases the formation of melanin in the skin. Topical use of hydroquinone lightens the darkened areas of the skin. One more thing to remember is that hydroquinone loses its potency when exposed to air.
- Polyhydroxy acids are a special type of alpha hydroxy acid that strengthens the skin barrier function and fights the signs of aging without irritating the skin. Polyhydroxy acids work great on people with sensitive or dry skin. It is a more gentle form of alpha hydroxy acid. These acids help in hydration and exfoliation of the skin. In addition to this, it also offers antioxidant properties to block oxygen free radical-induced tissue damage, which leads to less photoaging and sun sensitivity.
- Lactobionic acid and gluconolactone are polyhydroxy acids. They are bigger multi-strand molecules that penetrate into the skin slowly. Lactobionic acid is a plant extract and works as a mild exfoliant that smoothes and evens the skin.
- Gluconolactone is found in a number of skin creams and serums that are formulated to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. It consists of many water-attracting hydroxyl groups, which hydrate the skin to enhance moisturization. Gluconolactone is capable of chelating metals and scavenging free radicals, thereby, reducing the effects of sun damage to the skin.
- Kojic acid is a compound that is derived from several species of fungi. It works by targeting the tyrosinase enzyme that is required for melanin production. As it limits melanin production, it brings about skin brightening and lightening.
- The licorice root extract is used in many skin products as it contains bioactive compounds like flavonoids, antioxidants and plant sterols that help to soothe, lightens and hydrate the skin.
Why is Neostrata HQ skin lightening gel better?
There are hundreds of skin lightening creams, gels, serums and treatments available to consumers today. Many people experiment with different products before they stick with an option that suits them. It is a trial and error method as various products have dissimilar effects on an individual’s skin. Neostrata HQ skin lightening gel is designed to reduce the appearance of dark spots, exfoliate the skin, and decrease hyperpigmentation.
User reviews for this gel are available online. Overall, the reviews give a positive impression of this product and have managed to score a good rating. Consumers are happy with Neostrata HQ skin lightening gel as it showed results and is not greasy on the skin. The minimum time required to see visible results is 3 to 6 weeks. Small, subtle changes in the skin can be noticed in two weeks of regular application. A 12-week study showed that more than 75% of the participants’ age spots were lighter and preferred Neostrata HQ skin lightening gel to their previous skin product. Participants (100%) also noticed an improvement in their pigmented spots.
Neostrata HQ skin lightening gel is a safe, clinically-proven product that effectively lightens skin discoloration like freckles, age spots, and hyperpigmentation. It suits all skin types and is devoid of fragrance, oil, and parabens making it an ideal skin product.